11/28/07

The 55 Ford and The 1956 Chrysler






Before I cover the Chrysler I want finish up on the 55 Ford, maybe my best remembered car.
The photo at lower right shows the dashboard with the three round clusters. The round radio was in the center with heater controls and other dials to the left and right.
The bump over the speedometer had a clear plastic lens to illuminate the dials. You can see the horn ring which was really convenient compared to today but, it was potentially lethal in a frontal collision. The wrap around windshield went out the same way. The vertical posts could block the drivers view in certain instances. Still, a great car, I loved it.
I was drafted into the Army in 1957 and served with U.S. Army Intelligence in Baltimore. By then I was married and our first son was born during that time.
THE 1956 CHRYSLER.
Above and left is a photo of the Chrysler with my number one son. He is inspecting the paint finish and the quality of the sheet metal work. Where the car, and I went, he too went. If I washed it, he washed it. If I swore at it he too.......
I may have served in Army Intelligence but intelligence was not served when I decided to trade the Ford for the one year old Chrysler. After all, the Ford was only two years old.
I found it on a lot near Baltimore and developed reasons to make the switch. A habit I did not shake for some time.
About two weeks later, I went back to the lot and the 55 Ford was in the front line. The speedometer had been mysteriously backed up from 66K to 35K. Odd, I thought, as I left the lot. That's what happened to the 55 Ford.

The Chrysler was bigger, smoother and prettier I guess. A two door hardtop, automatic trans and full time power steering, not the graduated power assist of today, this was full time and could be turned without effort at any speed. (maybe good, maybe bad). It also had power windows and several other bells and whistles I enjoyed. Color: salmon and off white.

I drove it home from Baltimore when I was discharged on the First Day in May, 1959. The sun was shining, leaves were starting to show and I was heading home to hearth and family. I was quite happy. You can not beat leaving the Army in the Spring with a great car to tool around in and Bev and Rick waiting for me.
Rich

2 comments:

DNR said...

Cool stories, Mr. G.

Ya know, you keep writing and I keep reading... I'm gonna learn a lot about you.

Bring it on!!

Rich said...

YUP.
More to come.
To be followed by Tractors
and other stuff.
Rich