11/20/07

The 1955 Ford



I started out driving my Dad's 1937 Willys. It had a zillion miles on it with lots of dents and bumps. Mechanical brakes, three speed and risky handling. Also, a real gutsy four cylinder!

I was about 10 when I was able to handle it. I drove it around the farm and got on the road once in a while, driving between our remote fields. Later, we bought a 1950 Ford Tudor and I loved it. I got my drivers license in it and I was off to the races! Dating and racing my buddies when they showed up in their Chevys.

The 50 Ford developed oil ring problems and my Dad changed to a new 52 Willys. It was not a FORD! Stick and overdrive yes, but it was not a FORD.

By that time I was working and after a while, I bought the 55 Ford pictured above. Now, that was a car! Wrap-around windshield, stick shift and overdrive with a great V8, a round radio with the volume and on/off switch in the center and push buttons below. I put glass packed mufflers on the dual exhausts and I can still hear that V8 sound. I do miss that car.

I washed that thing almost daily but it was imperative on Saturdays. Washing and cleaning the car while listening to Hopalong Cassidy run the football for Ohio State. Then it was off to the Palladium with my friends .....dancing and drinking 3.2 beer...........yup, we were lucky!

I'll tell you what happened to that Ford when I return.....soon.

Rich

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What colors were those cars?

Rich said...

1937 Willys: rusted black.
1950 Ford: black.
1952 Willys: silver gray.
1955 Ford: dark and light green.

DNR said...

Very cool Mr. G!!

Welcome to the blog-o-sphere!!

Consider yourself added to my RSS Reader. Looking forward to many more posts!!